What if I am the Victim of a Hit-and-Run?

by David Peel on November 18, 2013

What if I am the Victim of a Hit-and-Run?When an accident occurs, both parties are supposed to remain at the accident scene. However, sometimes a party does not stop, or he stops briefly then takes off. When hit-and-runs occur and the accident caused death or personal injury, this can leave victims wondering what to do.

A victim of a hit-and-run accident should try to write down as much information as possible. Ideally, this would include the make, model, and license plate number of the car that left the accident scene. However, this is not always possible. Victims should write down all the information they can remember, including the location, date, and time of the accident. And, the victim should get the names and contact information of anyone who witnesses the accident.

A victim should then file a police report even if the victim does not think he has enough information to give to police officers. Police officers can give victims an official document, which the victim may need to rely on later. And, sometimes the information helps police officers find the other driver involved in the accident.

It is also important to know that in Tennessee, if personal injuries result from the accident, it is a Class A Misdemeanor to leave the scene of the accident. Leaving the scene of an accident could result in imprisonment for up to eleven months and twenty-nine days. Or, it could result in a fine not exceeding $2,500. Or, the sentence could involve both jail time and a fine.

In Tennessee, if death results from the accident, the driver that left the scene of the accident could be charged with a Class E Felony.This can happen if the driver of the other vehicle should have known that death had resulted from the accident. For the driver who left the scene of the accident, this could mean imprisonment or a fine that is assessed by a jury unless otherwise provided by a statute.

If you or someone you know is interested in more information, Mr. Peel can be reached through Mr. Peel works with those who are injured in automobile accidents throughout Memphis and the entire West Tennessee area. His offices are located in Millington, Tennessee.

Previous post:

Next post: