What to do if you Suspect Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect

by David Peel on December 20, 2013

What to do if you Suspect Nursing Home Abuse or NeglectIf you have a loved one in a nursing home, and you suspect abuse or neglect, you may be wondering what to do. There are certain steps that should be taken to make sure that you get the issue resolved.

First, it is important to assess whether the nursing home resident is telling the truth. Sometimes it is difficult to know what is real if dementia is a problem. It is a good idea to verify the story by talking with other nursing home residents. Also, get medical records together, take photos and to keep records of any other recent injuries or new prescriptions. Photographs of injuries are also useful. Take photos of bedsores even if you have to be a bit sneaky to do it.

If you decide that there is a valid reason to be concerned about the nursing home resident, you may only have the options of another nursing home or moving the resident into a family member’s home. Moving the nursing home resident, if possible, will help to protect them against further abuse and neglect while you take further appropriate measures.

You should talk with an attorney about filing a civil case for the abuse and neglect. Additionally, complaints against nursing homes can be filed with several different departments. The Department of Social Services allows claims to be filed against nursing homes. Adult Protective Services also allows claims to be filed. This allows you to alert the state that there is a problem with the nursing home.

Talking with an attorney will help you assess what your options are and what lawsuits may be brought against the nursing home depending on your situation.

If you or someone you know is interested in more information about what to do if you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, please contact Mr. Peel at Mr. Peel focuses in personal injury. He practices in Millington, Tipton, County, Lauderdale County and Memphis, Tennessee.

Previous post:

Next post: